Home Decorating Fiasco

Sunday, February 5, 2012

On Saturday Rich mistakenly sent me out to pick up new sandals at Ross in an effort to demonstrate that he wanted me to have everything I needed. [I often wait a long time before replacing clothes because it is so hard to find things that a) fit, b) look nice, and c) are reasonably priced.] I don't think that I ever told Rich that Ross is my weakness.

Unfortunately, I parked at the entrance completely across the store from the shoes. As soon as I walked in, I saw laundry baskets (which I've been wanting) and nice chairs and wall art; then red bed sheets and red and gold accents pillows and area rugs to match! All of these things were significantly cheaper than I saw last week at several stores with my friend Christine.

Shoppers were crowding around items and grabbing them before others could get to them. I felt a sense of urgency. So I grabbed a huge "Paris in the fall" hybrid oil for $40 and asked them to hold it while I tried on 15 outfits. I picked out some bedding with accent pillows and a rug and tried to make it all add up to $100 or less. Fail!

Because I was so focused on getting deals, I forgot that the parking meter was running out. So a parking cop slapped yet another parking ticket on our car.

When I arrived home, Rich asked where the sandals were. I hadn't found any in my size. But I had several outfits for him to check out and an oil canvas. It became clear that the "Paris in the springtime" needed a matching picture, so I went back to grab a mirror and a European bakery hybrid oil of the same size, bringing the total spending to over $200.

Then during the night I had horrible buyer's remorse. I woke up thinking about how careless all of the spending was and wanted to take it all back immediately. Rich loaded up the car after Mass and, with the exception of a $5 shirt, skirt, and bolero, took everything back. And now he's bringing me a coffee and trying to figure out whether I have a) obsessive compulsive disorder or b) am a shopaholic.

Awesome. And that's why I cannot shop at Ross: Dress for Less!
Theresa said...

ha ha! This is too funny! I recommend shopping at more expensive stores because you will not be as tempted to spend money while you are there. You can look at everything, go home, sleep on it, put the items you still love on your "favorites" at that store's website. Then check said item every week until it goes on sale. If you are still madly in love with it at that point, it is worth buying. And since it was a high quality purchase it will last for a long time. Also, better stores have better return policies and customer service and the customers are also nicer to each other.

Mom said...

Wow! My girls are getting very savvy:) Love You!
Mom