What We've Been Working On

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Though I'm not going to say that my child is the next Einstein, he certainly does seem to have a  solid memory. That is to say, he appears to pick things up and remember them with minimal effort. (Rich gets credit for that.) Sometimes, he gets lazy about paying attention, but he certainly seems to have a lot of academic potential. That also means that he gets bored easily and keeps me on my toes.
 
 
 
So now my challenge is having the right lessons on hand. I want the boys to develop their talents. Apparently, at this age, children learn better with a lot of visual stimulation. I've really appreciated Starfall because it's given Isaac an interest in his letters, numbers, and colors. I have several of their apps on my iPhone. He asks to "do the letters" every day. This site has given me a point of reference. There's a large window of time for children to learn their alphabet without falling behind. I don't want to push the boys too much. Nor do I want to compare them to others. But I do really enjoy seeing them figure out a concept. Academics are a part of their development, and arguably not the most important part. But we have to celebrate the little victories!! :)
Anonymous said...

Wow! You added about 10 new posts! Can't wait to watch the videos on a computer that actually has sound. This one doesn't.
Cute kids!

Theresa said...

He can skip kindergarten! John just learned on star fall last year. Abby plays with it some but she doesn't know them all yet either.

Jean S said...

That's an interesting comment about kindergarten. My mother only took me a few days and then I didn't go back till first grade. I never asked why, that I remember. So I graduated high school with a B+/A- average from a very small town public school in Wisconsin. And here I am 37 years later.

I think my grandchildren are getting a very good start. But most of all ... just love them!

XOX
Mom

Aunt Mary Ann said...

We went over a lot of what they learned in kindergarten and 1st grade at home, and we had to supplement when they were in school because they were bored. But when I look at Mike's calculus now, I know I could never help him with that! I didn't take math beyond algebra. We used to do little art projects at home too, which they enjoyed. In fact, some of the ornaments we hung up on the tree crack me up. There is a cute one of a photo of Mike's smiling little face on a paper santa with cotton glued on his hat and cuffs. Sometimes I wish I could go back and relive their "little" days.