He was "Student of the Week" recently and received "what's special about me" letters from his teacher and all of his classmates. The classmates asked questions of him at the end of the letters. Each letter was beautiful; but some were truly outstanding.
Two boys called him their "best friend," several wrote he was funny (E.g., "rily rily funny"), and one girl asked, "Why don't you like girls?" (A crush changed her mind about him 4 years ago, an unforgivable offense... But he has a couple of admirers again; and is getting over it.) I caught him reading his letters on his bed one morning. He had stopped at one of the letters that said, "You are my best friend." I asked him about it. He said that that friend "never told me I was his best friend before . . . but he acts like he's my best friend." "What does he do that is like a best friend?" I inquired. "He plays kickball with me," he said.
His teacher is exceptional at ensuring all the students feel important. He met her the day before the first day of school. She used a low voice, made eye contact, and asked him questions and listened to his answers and asked follow-up questions. I knew immediately that it was going to be a good year. Some teachers just "get" him. He has one this year. She is worth her weight in gold.
Post a Comment