Striving

Saturday, August 3, 2024

“…love has a need to dedicate itself and dedicate itself without measure…” -St. Peter Julian Eymard


We've been taking more time as a family, despite our work and study obligations. We trust the Lord to work it all out for our good somehow. All is grace. -repeated by so many, but today in the Magnificat's Meditation by Ven. Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan. 


We've been working hard to make friends for five years. Today, someone canceled plans with us at the last minute. I wish I could say that this wasn't an adult or that this wasn't a frequent occurrence; but that would be a lie. The truth is that there are very few adults who do what they say they will do.


When we find one, we find a treasure. We have exactly one couple out here who meets that description. And we are blessed. I continue to tell our kids not to commit unless they know they can keep their commitments. They may not cancel commitments they've already made -- short of a serious emergency. It's just not mature. What if DH or I just didn't show up because we didn't feel like it? Regardless, here we are. Us against the world. I'm so grateful that I get to be with these people on this journey!


They are such a joy.


Yes, we have moments of unpleasantries. Perhaps many of them. But we're working it out.


The kids generally enjoy being around each other.


The bigs are cheered up by the littles on the regular.




There are three sets of best friends.



This BFF shared on the way home, "I'm glad we live here and not in LA or New York City. It's so peaceful here. I feel relaxed." Indeed. Being at the ocean will do that to a person. The ocean is five miles away as the crow flies, fifteen minutes driving.


The Fourth is an amazing talker when one-on-one. Every shot I took of him had his mouth open.


My mother-in-law told me that I will look back on these as my "golden years." I keep praying that I age with grace. So far, the years are better and better; and I would not want to go back and repeat anything.