This year I felt guilty about consistently buying and giving cookies that I didn't make from scratch. So, I decided to give homemade cookies a whirl again: 3 kinds plus gluten free brownies. The entire process reminded me of why I had been buying pre-made dough for so long.
Don't get me wrong. I actually like to make cookies from scratch and I know they can be much tastier. But, with two small boys, it just did not work for me. And this is why I don't feel bad about it:
1. Less cookie dough to consume.
If you're like me, you're something of a cookie dough alcoholic. Thankfully, cookies don't have quite as many calories per unit as alcohol, but they certainly won't help you keep the weight down. If you buy the pre-cut cookies, you will get 12 or 24. Most people expect cookie plates in dozens. So, there's built-in incentive not to eat the dough.
| Absolutely no incentive not to eat this dough! |
2. Less Cookie Dough Consumed =
Less Chance of Food-Borne Illness
Zero raw eggs eaten = zero chance of getting salmonella from raw eggs.
3. Healthy, all-natural dough is available.
I think we've all tasted the "bad" dough -- you know the stuff that has the "bad" vanilla-y aftertaste. Trader Joe's molasses cookies are great -- as are all of the Immaculate Baking cookies. They use real vanilla, eggs, and sugar -- just like you'd prepare them at home.
| Isaac decided these needed sprinkles. |
4. Some of the prepared-dough cookies also taste just like you made them from scratch.
I'll admit that there's a lack of variety among the good-tasting, prepared-dough cookies. For example, I haven't found a good, prepared Christmas cookie dough available, though there are a few mediocre ones. However, those that use the same ingredients (and only those) that you use at home will taste like you made them from scratch.
5. I almost always get compliments on "my" cookies.
Really! This happens a lot -- mostly cookies from Trader Joe's or Immaculate Baking -- but occasionally for unique cookies, like Nestle Turtles. Richie asked me to "make" these for Christmas.
6. The key step is done for you: the dough is already refrigerated.
I've cut corners a lot in my baking and cooking. One effort that I shouldn't cut is refrigerating the dough before baking it. I've always skipped this step when making cookies from scratch. And guess what? They never came out with a perfect texture and shape like mine do now.
7. Everyone in my house gets impatient with the cookie-making process after the first hour.
On Tuesday, it was a four-hour process, which I couldn't stop because the type of cookies I was making required an additional step to be done immediately after they came out of the oven. After I was done with that step, it was time to take another tray out and put a new one in. By the time I was done, Andre had been screaming for an hour. It reminded me of something Fr. Larry told me long ago about driving aggressively to get to work in time: Don't lack charity in the name of charity. Exactly. I turn into a hypocrite, by ignoring my kids, in order to make an amazing plate for someone else.
8. It gives other people a chance to shine.
Some people are amazing at baking cookies and really enjoy it. If I let them shine, I can pick up tips from them along the way. When our family is older, we'll try again and maybe even turn one of the boys into a phenomenal baker like my grandpa was! :)
I need to buy pre-made dough! I've never tried it and I'm exhausted from all this baking. I've already got four batched of christmas cookie dough in the fridge. Our family eats it too so I made extra so I don't lack charity. lol!
Does anyone have grandpa's cookie recipe? The one he made from scratch and spread with egg white? They weren't overly sweet. They were very good.
Cute kiddos!
Theresa ... I am drawing a blank on this one. Maybe Aunt MaryAnn remembers. Unless those are the same cookies Uncle John makes? I think of bread. Actually I was thinking of Dad today while driving home, and Santa got me a Carole King CD for the stocking which I listened to on the way home at a loud volume(alone) and sang to (only when alone also). When "(You're) So Far Away" came on I sang and cried through the whole song (can't do that with people in the car either). It always reminded me of Dad and how I lived through high school with only a weekend father and missed him so much. Christmas reminds us of all our loved ones, here and gone...to a better place.
That dough looks amazing!
Post a Comment