Mr. Loquacious

Friday, March 8, 2013

Though he's only 18 months, we have a few things figured out about Isaac. One thing's for sure: he likes to talk. (Huge surprise, I know.) A couple of babysitters mentioned to us that he was pretty chatty. Then I went to the pediatric office on Wednesday and discovered that he's definitely ahead verbally. It's kind of fun to watch him develop -- his personality and his skills.
 
 
 
We have been working on words a lot because he wants to know each thing's name. He's dappling in phrases. Being with Rich and I for four days without us distracted with work, laundry, meals, and cleaning were good for his vocab. He picked up a few words that are funny to hear him say like "meatball" and "pasta." His most common phrase now is "so funny" as in "Dada, so funny." It's normally followed by a forced laugh to let us know that he knows what "funny" means. And that is hilarious to us!
 
(He was sad here about Rich being gone overnight. And teething. Bad combo.)
 
Another thing he likes to do is move around constantly. I knew this was coming and this week it happened: the neighbor below us asked us if we could install more rugs. Perhaps it was all of the throwing. Perhaps it was the jumping. Perhaps the running from room to room. Who knows? I'm just surprised that we made it for over a year here without anyone complaining about the noise.
 
 
 
His measurements are leveling out. I'm pleased with his weight gain over the last three months.
Weight: 23 lbs., 11 oz. (43rd%)
Length: 32.5 in. (54th%)
Head Circ.: 19 in. (74th%)


(Thank you for the doggie note, Mark! It was a huge hit.)
 
He's also become more affectionate lately. He doesn't like it when I'm unhappy with him. If he knows he's been naughty (this is partly shrewdness, no doubt), he says "big hug" and puts out his arms to get a hug. He's also started to flash his smile when he knows he's in trouble. I love how kids pick up on this little trick all on their own. That one blind-sided me at first. (Hello, child, you are eighteen months, not eighteen years!) But I'm biting my tongue and following through anyway. There are lots of hugs and kisses throughout. And he said "I love you" for the first time. (Really "I lubu.")
Theresa said...

Aw, cutie patootie! Doug is at a poker game so I am leaving long-winded comments all over your blog:-)

I'm so glad you have a talker. Hopefully that will mean less screaming for things which is what my kids do when they can't say the name of something. I cannot wait to see Andres personality and how he fits into the family. I love how each child shapes a family and makes it better than it was before. And I'm super excited that the boys will have each other for life. What greater gift could they have!

Monica said...

Aww, he is soo cute!

Aunt Mary Ann said...

I just love listening to little kids learn to talk! It's a good thing you are recording some of this. I mostly just have a few phrases in my memory that the kids said that always bring a smile to my face. The consanant blends are always entertaining! A classic Steve comment from 2 years old is, "you telm like tigarettes!" (when we occasionally went out.) We never smoked but he noticed we smelled funny.

Lady Luck said...

That's so cute! This is a great age. Isaac makes us laugh constantly. It's funny to think that smoking is banned at most places we frequent now. A different world now onset ways.