Spring Is Nigh (FINALLY!)

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I pulled this from WKTB Storm Team 8 Weather in Lacrosse, WI. It's not Virginia, but the same thing happened (is happening) here. If last year was unseasonably warm, this year is unseasonably cold (Rich and I checked the records -- we've experienced below average temps this year). I trained for a 5K from December through March of last year. All of my runs and walks were outside. And I took Isaac with me without hesitation. He absolutely LOVED it. This year, that is unthinkable (not only because I'm pregnant). Check out these drastic differences:
 
 
 
That said, we enjoyed a very nice weekend (in the 60's) and are having nice weather this week. It's been so good for Isaac to get outside and run around. The indoor time was really getting to him.
 
 
 
We went out early today to have my blood drawn for the 28 week glucose test. Thankfully, we beat most of the traffic and were in and out in five minutes. (I just LOVE early morning appointments! They make me feel like we live in a normal city -- not one with the worst traffic in the US.)
 

He was in the picture, but holding still is not his forte.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We went out for breakfast at IHOP afterward because, hey, IHOP is economical. And we've been spending lots of time together as Rich puts in 12 and 14 hour days lately. (Can I say I'm so glad we took that vacation when we had the chance?) After breakfast we took a long walk outside and went to the playground. In case you ever wondered why no one swims in the water out here, take a look:
 
 
 
It doesn't seem to bother the ducks at all, though. Isaac loves these two. They are out every day. Just the two of them. He finds their quacking hilarious.
 
 
 
They were peacefully paddling along, so we followed them along the creek for a while.
 
 
 
 
Isaac pointed out all of the birds and squirrels and airplanes and trucks and dogs that he saw along the way. The robins have been very active in the mornings this week. They are my favorite: pretty and familiar. And something about that hopping makes me happy.
 
 
 
Of course, Isaac picked up a bunch of sticks. Some were roots, which he pulled with all of his might before giving up on them. (I just love that little personality, haha.)
 
 
 
Testing his strength:
 
 
  
 
 
This child would do everything on his own if I let him. He's taken on a new independence. It's kind of cute and scary at the same time. We've been very firm and consistent about boundaries lately. And we often feel him pushing up against them. I'm guessing that's a good sign that he's learning how things operate. We won't protest when it comes to learning.
 
 
 
I'm really looking forward to getting down on the ground with my camera snapping our two boys!
Aunt Mary Ann said...

Glad you guys got a vacation when you did! Rich has some pretty long days at work, and you do too. Glad you can be with Isaac during this time. He will have some great memories of his childhood. Hope you get some family time coming up.

Theresa said...

The long hours are hard... Doug has been Gone a lot too. Monday was from 6-9:30, Tuesday from 6-7, and Wednesday from 6-8pm. Today he left at 7 and will hopefully be able to be at Johns t-ball practice by 6ish so better:-) I hope we all get a nice weekend. It is easier for me to handle him being gone so much now that we are 9 years into marriage but it was extremely hard in the beginning.