About two seconds after I posted about our morning yesterday, my sister, Julie, called to tell me that there were reports of white smoke coming from the Sistine Chapel chimney. While I was on the phone with her, Theresa texted "white smoke." I logged onto Facebook to find a newsfeed freaking out with pope updates. I called Rich to tell him and glued myself to the computer screen until we had a name, which we received in Latin -- blast! That is the only time Latin is useful.
Isaac was a pretty good sport, even though he dislikes the attention that the laptop takes away from him. I tried to explain the process so that he was a little more interested. He now understands that the old man in the white garb is "Papa." This morning while checking the news, he saw a picture of Pope Francis and said, "PAPA!" in his excited, 18-month-old voice.
| Lamb and Feta Lasagna. |
I switched our menu at the last minute because the boys here love pasta. We pulled out some wine (wish we had had a Malbec on hand!) and chocolate and toasted our new pope. It's beautiful to see how great men still rise in the Church. It's so different than how politicians rise, largely conforming to the opinions and times of the people. Not surprisingly, we have another pope who affirms the issues that the Church has considered moral and immoral since the time of Jesus. Watching and waiting for the name to be given was so much more peaceful than watching the November election results! I was very curious to see who the cardinals felt could best serve the Church -- with the guidance of the Holy Spirit -- in 2013. Their decision was made so quickly, and reading all about Pope Francis makes that seem like no surprise. I read many Facebook statuses and news articles about him, but I think our own bishop says it the best:
This is a very exciting and hope-filled time for Catholics the world over, and most assuredly for our brothers and sisters in Latin America who cannot but take great delight in the election of a native son from Argentina. Throughout my life, I have become increasingly aware how the Lord has provided for the Church the shepherd best suited to the particular needs and challenges of the time. I know that this is the case once more. I ask our diocesan family of faith to join me in continued prayers for the pontificate of Pope Francis and for the entire Church.
Post a Comment