This weekend's win was Fort Washington. It's quite an impressive colonial-era structure on the Potomac River in Maryland (near Piscataway). Rich said that it was bigger and more impressive than Fort Sumter. I have never seen anything like this before. The pictures don't capture it's size well, but here is a sampling.
I'm including this photo mostly so you can see how awesome the Canon PowerShot's zoom is. (See photo above take from the same vantage point as below. Can you find Rich and Isaac below?)
Check out one of the gears for the drawbridge:
Besides having impressive mechanics and an overwhelming size, Ft. Washington offers great views! You can see Old Town Alexandria across the river.
This was an enjoyable trip for us. It cost $5 for a 3-day pass. There are lots of open fields. We saw some boys flying a few toy helicopters in one of the fields. We will definitely return -- probably earlier in the morning when it's cooler, or in spring or fall. I'm glad we took the time to stop here after Piscataway. It was much more impressive.
I think I'd like to move out east for pictures sake. Lol!
Post a Comment